FOR Ohio Update--March 8, 2019
Ohio Senate to take up gas tax proposal
This week the Ohio House of Representatives passed H.B. 62, the transportation budget bill with a vote of 71-27. Major changes to the Governor's proposal included:
- Reduced gas tax increase from 18 cents to 10.7 cents per gallon beginning October 1st to be phased in over 2 years (7 cents and 3.7 cents)
- Increase tax on diesel fuel by 20 cents to 48 cents per gallon beginning October 1st to be phased in over 3 years (10 cents, 6 cents, 4 cents)
- There is no indexing but the creation of a study committee to report ODOT’s needs by October
- Increased funding for public transit to $100 million per year in flex funding
- $200 registration fee on electric vehicles, $100 on hybrid vehicles
ODOT has compiled an analysis of the House changes to their program, click here. As you can see there is still no new money for additional safety and no money for the major new program. The coalition is continuing to support the Governor's proposal of an 18 cent increase with indexing.
Please contact your State Senator ASAP to express your support for the Governor's proposal, the Senate plans to vote on the bill by March 20. Below is the contact information for the Senator who represents your business address:
$$LEGISLATOR: State Senate$$
To locate your State Senator by zip code click here or call 1-800-282-0253 to be connected directly to your Senator’s Office. See information below to assist in your outreach efforts:
- Sample Senator Letter
- HB 62 talking points
- Unfunded project lists
- ODOT Budget Website
- ACEC Ohio House testimony
- Governor DeWine State of the State
The fate of this issue rests now on a strong grassroots effort. Please engage today! As you get input back from the legislator’s you talk to, please drop me a short e-mail with their positions, for, against, or wanting more information.
Thank you for everything you are doing to advocate for Ohio’s economy and people. For more information and for recent news on this issue, please visit https://fixourroadsohio.com/.